Sketched Snowflake design on 3/4" MDF board. Snowflake end to end is 32" with 1/2" space between lines. (*End product uses straight lines, instead of curved pictured here, for ease in later gluing.) The purpose of the MDF board is to create a JIG that can be used to make several identical snowflakes. One board is enough for several designs. (wreaths, snowflakes, candy canes, etc.)
Drilled out door knob sized holes for the major joints.
Borrowed a friend's router to grind out the lines for the 12 gauge hanger wire.
Used a bolt cutter for the wires ...and since I don't own a welder, I went with JB Weld epoxy. It is super strong and works like a charm. Make sure to completely surround the wire connections (forming a sort of X-shaped epoxy "tube" around them).
I pinched the main joints with some scrap wood and screws to glue them together with pressure. It took 2 separate nights.
In my design, I'm keeping the middle wires for support (Matt cut them out in his design). Here you can also see where I changed from a circular outer ring to a hexagonal shape. (Makes gluing easier)
I popped the wooden clamps off and sanded away the splinters. Then sprayed flat black Rust-Oleum spray paint over it to protect from rust and hide the snowflake support frame when the lights are on. (You can see the smaller snowflake under this one ready to be glued.)
Working on zip-tying the lights:It takes quite some time and took several nights of work.
Here is the finished 32" snowflake with 216 lights attached.
Plugged it in and tested it out. The final 24 lights didn't light up...
It turns out I had the incorrect number on the e682 webpage. Once I updated the number to 216 they all light up.